This was one of those "healthy" dishes that looked like it wasn't going to be that good. You know how healthy dishes are. But it was really surprisingly good! Pretty impressive for a vegetarian meal! This one is also from the March 2010 BHG, but I've included my tiny alterations. (Purists can look up the original on the BHG website.)
• 8 oz. dried rigatoni (about 3-1/2 cups)
• 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
• 1 19-oz. can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
• 2 tsp. minced garlic
• 2-3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
• ¼ cup snipped fresh basil leaves
• 2 slices bread, cut in small cubes
• ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
• Snipped fresh basil (optional)
1. In Dutch oven cook pasta according to package directions, adding broccoli during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Reserve 3/4 cup of the pasta cooking water. Drain pasta and broccoli; return to pan.
2. Add beans, garlic, and about 2 Tbsp. of the oil to the pasta and broccoli. Carefully stir in basil, pasta water, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cover and keep warm.
3. For croutons, in skillet heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat. Add bread cubes and red pepper. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes, until crisp. Top pasta with croutons and basil. Makes 4 servings.