Friday, January 11, 2013

The General's Southern Pound Cake

This recipe is NOT mine and strictly speaking, I didn't ask permission to share it. But I'm terrified that I'm going to lose it someday or, you know, my house will burn down and take the recipe with it or something, so this way I'll be sure to have it wherever I go. It comes from our good friend and legendary baker, Jeremy Rich, who got it from a good friend of his own who happened to be, not surprisingly, a Southern general. It is far and away THE BEST pound cake I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

1 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
3 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2-3 teaspoons high quality vanilla

Cream butter shortening. Add sugar slowly, mixing thoroughly. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Mix cake flour and salt, and add to batter. Mix well. Add whipping cream and vanilla. Blend for 8 minutes on medium-high speed.

Grease and flour bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 75 minutes. Turn off the oven and let sit unopened for another 5 minutes. Remove cake and cool 5 minutes, then invert over wire rack to cool. Dust with powdered sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment