Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Chicken and Gnocchi Soup

A while ago I was hunting for a really good gnocchi soup, so I combined copycat recipes from the Olive Garden and Romano's Macaroni Grill and came up with this little number.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 garlic clove, chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper
2 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
8 ounces potato gnocchi
1 ripe tomato, chopped
1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
1 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
4 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Saute the onions and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until onion becomes soft and transparent and garlic becomes golden. Be careful not to burn the garlic or it will taste bitter. Add chicken stock, salt and pepper, and thyme. Heat to boiling, then add the cooked chicken, gnocchi, and chopped tomato. Turn down to a simmer. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the cream and spinach. Simmer another 5 minutes until spinach wilts. Remove from heat. Serve sprinkled with generous amounts of Parmesan cheese and a little basil.

1 comment:

  1. This was SO good. We had it last night... The only thing I did differently was to double the amount of chicken stock. I just needed more liquid for the amount of people I was feeding. I couldn't bring myself to double the half-and-half though :o) It ended up more milky than chowder-y, but we all agreed it was delicious. Thanks so much for the YUMMY recipe! I linked to this on my recipe blog...

    ReplyDelete